Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 21:25:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> There *was* such a change, I know this, because I read it in a
>> recent book on Linux and shell programming - a big, white book
>> with all the tools alphabetically, and with a big section on Emacs
>> (and one on vim - no bias!).
>
> Well, if there is such a book, and if it says what you say it says,
> then that book is simply wrong.  Emacs behaves like it does today for
> a very long time.  "A couple of versions" is definitely wrong.  If
> you'd say it was some time when Emacs 19.x was being released, I could
> believe you.

I suspect that the mentioned book was mostly about stuff you run from
the console, i.e. X is not available. In that context, the `emacs'
command runs on the console. Moreover, at least on Debian distributions
there is an emacsNN-nox package that installs emacs version NN without
graphical support. One of the installed binaries is emacsNN. Then, there
is the package emacsNN which also installs the binary emacsNN, but this
time with graphical support. IIRC, on all cases an `emacs' symlink is
made pointing to `emacsNN'.

So a Debian user might invoke emacs24 on his terminal and obtain a
text-only session or a graphical session, depending on the installed
package and on the availability of an X server.

I'm afraid that what Mr. Berg describes as a change on Emacs behavior is
not something that his book mentions, but a (wrong) conclusion he made.