Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 00:04:17 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>   xrdb -m ~/.Xresources
>
> The -m merges.  The -l loads.  I selected merging because you
> may have sevaral files all merged together so this would only
> change what you changed.  Using -l would empty first and then
> only load that file so if you had several files, perhaps a
> /etc/X11/something, then that other would be lost.  But I will
> use -l when I want only what is in that file, nothing more and
> nothing less, and want to avoid anything else that might have
> been set elsewhere.  Somewhat like the emacs -Q of things.

Interesting. I have

xrdb ~/.Xresources

as the first line of .xinitrc - which is read after 'xinit', in
.zprofile (of zsh).

Without an operation (like -merge or -load, or -m/-l) the default
operation is -all, according to the man page. But what that means,
is not the easiest thing to understand, even with the man page:

> This option indicates that operation should be performed on the
> screen-independent resource property (RESOURCE_MANAGER), as well
> as the screen-specific prop‐ erty (SCREEN_RESOURCES) on every
> screen of the display.  For example, when used in conjunction
> with -query, the contents of all properties are output.  For
> -load, -override and -merge, the input file is processed once
> for each screen.  The resources which occur in common in the
> output for every screen are collected, and these are applied as
> the screen-independent resources.  The remaining resources are
> applied for each individual per- screen property.  This the
> default mode of operation.

I used it the same way when I did my experimentation on Solaris:
that is, without any operation.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573