Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:38:44 -0400

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Shared logins?  Makes no sense to me.  Where is the security in
>> that.
>
> No, probably some ancient way of sharing, when a small group of
> people were on a techno-science facility with a huge mainframe,
> which they used to estimate the trajectories of Russian nukes...
>
>> Anyway, since you brought up dealing with different monitor
>> sizes here's how I deal with rxvt on different terminal sizes
>> using xrdb and X-resources:
>>
>> #if ( HEIGHT == 900 )     /* Traditional Sparc */
>> Rxvt.geometry: 80x55
>> #elif ( HEIGHT == 1024 )  /* Sparc 21 inch */
>> Rxvt.geometry: 80x65
>> #elif ( HEIGHT == 768 )   /* Exceed in 1024x768 mode */
>> Rxvt.geometry: 80x47
>> #else                     /* I have no idea... */
>> Rxvt.geometry: 80x40
>> #endif
>
> Cool - I didn't know you could branch in .Xresources. What syntax
> is that - the C preprocessor?

Yes.

>> The man page reveals other values you can access besides HEIGHT.
>
> What man page?

xrdb

>> Another person mentioned running xrdb and reading an .Xdefaults
>> file.  A common problem with .Xdefaults is that it can rapidly
>> accumulate huge amounts of junk.
>>
>> Here's how I deal with that in my .xinitrc:
>>
>>   cat $HOME/xdef/*.ad | xrdb -load
>
> Doesn't that mean you don't use .Xdefaults?

Yes, as I said, from my point of view, .Xdefaults is a bad idea.
It gets way too big and passing it from person to person
just makes it worse.  Back when I first started working with Solaris,
everyone had huge .Xdefault files with all kinds of junk in them.
This solution was appreciated by lots of people.

>> The xdef directory contains:
>>
>> Emacs.ad
>> exmh.ad
>> xterm.ad
>> etc.
>>
>> Makes it easy to remove things you no longer use.
>
> You mean, you remove it, by not adding it every time X starts?
> What extension is .ad?

.ad is entirely my own invention, along with using the sub-directory
"xdef".

So here's my current xdef directory:

 241  calctool.ad
 512  dtcm.adx
6031  Emacs.ad
  20  exmh.adx
2063  Frame.adx
  25  Gimp.ad
 283  olwm.adx
 499  openwin.adx
2587  x3270.ad
7894  xbiff.ad
3893  XCalc.adx
 168  xcursors.ad
 523  xdefaults.ad
6060  XEmacs.ad
 199  xexit.ad
 132  Xft.ad
1790  xlock.adx
 827  xlogout.ad
 230  xmeter.adx
  32  xperfmon.adx
 225  XPrompt.ad
7521  Xscreensaver.ad
2932  xterm.ad

The files I'm currently not using are just renamed ".adx" so they
get skipped.

--
Dan Espen