Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:30:42 +0100

Jorge <1gato0a@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi.  What are the best uses of Emacs?

>   What is Emacs really good for?  Is it a good personal information manager?

It's a jack of all trades. I can manage my personal information, and
write code. and web pages, and interact with a versioning system. All
the knowledge and muscle memory that I learn from one task cuts across
to another.

There are many tasks for which it is not the best tool -- I still use it
to write Java, when Eclipse is better. But, it's good enough, and I
don't have to relearn everything which happens in eclipse.

And it's easy to extend; there are some rare syntaxes that I use, and I
want support. Adding this to emacs is easy, and on the fly.

Phil