Re: how to build emacs without documentation?

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: how to build emacs without documentation?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:21:51 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> As for "info", well, that was pretty much immediate until Texinfo-5.0
> came along.  So you might like to downgrade to Texinfo-4.x to enjoy
> a more normal speed.
>
> I still have no idea how they managed to slow things down so much.
> It feels like it's a good 100 times slower.  Actual measurement will
> probably show the slowdown factor to be smaller, but still the
> difference is insane.

It seems to have switched from C to perl
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/History.html#History

Reading Joel Spolsky http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html
would have been a good idea!

And perl?? In 2013?!?!

[BTW I bothered to look this up because of the nuisance that an orgmode build
including git pull seems to take forever in the makeinfo phase ]