Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Thomas Shannon
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 03:21:16 -0500

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) writes:

>> Is it a good calendar?  Can you easily collaborate with colleagues who
>> use Google Calendar?
>
> I find Org's agenda combined with the Emacs calendar to be very
> effective.  In the past, it was easier to use Emacs to collaborate with
> GCal users, because there are several Elisp libraries to interface with
> the standard iCal API; today this has become more difficult because
> Google has discontinued its iCal support.  The elimination of all
> third-party Google Calendar clients, the better to attract eyeballs to
> the web interface, cannot be far behind.
>
> My solution for the moment is to use my phone for any Google Calendar
> stuff (and other non-free API junk).  The phone's calendar shows both
> GCal events with others and my private MobileOrg calendare events.

Thank you for this answer which caught me attention.  I have thus far
resisted org mode for a few reasons one of which is that I have my own
system for keeping a diary and journal and I like using it.  However, I
*would* like to be able to view my diary on my iPhone.  Its not an
org-mode file per se.  Just a regular text file (actually a LaTeX file).
Can mobileorg allow me to work with it?

Thanks,
Tom S.