RE: Unable to Jump to a File/Directory Register

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unable to Jump to a File/Directory Register
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

> No.  But by using `emacs -Q` I have to call `set-register` manually
> before I can see if `C-x r j f` does what I want.  That works, but it
> always works if I run `(set-register ?s '(file . "~/.config/fish/"))`
> explicitly.  That makes me think that you are probably correct then
> that something else in my init file is causing a problem.

Ah, your original report suggested that you did
`(set-register ?s '(file . "~/.config/fish/"))` directly.

Yes, no doubt something you are loading or doing is interfering.
The best approach for this, even before debugging to see what goes
wrong, is to bisect your init file to find the code that introduces
the problem.  This is very quick to do - it's a binary search.  Just
inhibit half of your init file, then 3/4, then 7/8, etc. until you
find exactly where the problem is.

>  > If so, load library `register.el' (yes, include the `.el' when you
>  > use `load-library'). The do `M-x debug-on-entry jump-to-register'
>  > and the walk through the debugger (using `d') to see what
>  > happens. Before doing that show file register.el in another window
>  > or frame so you can easi,ly follow where the debugger is in the code.
>
> Thank you for the `M-x debug-on-entry jump-to-register` suggestion.
> That should be quite useful.
>
>  > (If I had to guess, it would be that you are not starting from
>  > `emacs -Q' and something in your init file or code it loads is
>  > messing things up.)
>
> Just curious, off the top of your head have you heard of any
> third-party packages that cause problems or conflicts with registers?

I haven't, but perhaps someone else here has.