I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:02:50 -0400

I've always wished list-buffers used my current window when it listed my
buffers. I don't know why, but this rubbed me the wrong way immediately when I
learned the command, and I've never been able to shake it.

Years ago I figured out a way to get what I wanted[1], but now I jump from
machine to machine and I'm always firing up emacs on distant machines and
immediately missing my little hack when I C-x C-b. Continuing with C-x 0 seems
like a lot of typing just to to begin navigating to the buffer I'm looking for.

Is there a simple way to get what I want when I'm running emacs away from my
customizations? [2][3]

Thanks,
Jay

[1] I was inexperienced with emacs/elisp and I naively re-defun'd 'list-buffers
to switch to the buffer instead of creating a new window and displaying it
there.

[2] I vaguely recall that there is a special variable for a list of commands
that shouldn't use new windows, but I also vaguely recall that I used it and it
stopped working for 'list-buffers.

[3] I realize that, taken out of context, this is a laughably complicated
question and probably the holy grail of countless migrant emacs users the world
over. But here I'm just talking about how to get my buffers to list in the same
window, when, for instance, I'm using somebody else's emacs process.