Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:54:32 +0800

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:32:50 AM UTC+5:30, Jay Cotton wrote:
>> I've always wished list-buffers used my current window when it listed my
>> buffers. I don't know why, but this rubbed me the wrong way immediately when
>> I learned the command, and I've never been able to shake it.
>
> Does this work?
>
> (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*")

Hey I was just thinking something similar about the *Help* buffer: I
often look up docs for functions and variables, and then end up TAB-bing
to the source file link and hitting return to see the definition.

I like that the *Help* buffer itself opens a new window, but once I've
got that new window I want the source file in question to re-use it,
rather than going back and clobbering the window I was in.

That's not quite the same thing as the OP's question, but it seems like
a close cousin. I eventually found `display-buffer-alist' (I'm on 24.3),
but the docstring for that is as confusing as any emacs docs I've ever
read. Has anyone accomplished what I'm after?

Thanks!
Eric