Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Thomas Shannon
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 04:49:45 -0500

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) writes:

> A calendar in LaTeX might be more suitable for the "hipster PDA"
> strategy: print out a week or so at a time and fold it up into a jacket
> pocket or notebook.  Emacs can help you do this too, and in fact the
> calendar/diary has some pre-built LaTeX layouts that are suitable for
> this.  See (info "(emacs) Writing Calendar Files") for some info on the
> `cal-tex' library which does this.

Yes, I agree.  However I've never been able to get one of these to
compile with my entries inserted.  I think its because many of the
entries have LaTeX code inserted into them and somewhere along the line
things get confused.  I really should investigate
further and file a bug report but I haven't gotten around to it.

In the mean time I'm perfectly fine with saving the fancy diary display
as a text file and updating it on my phone.  It actually works pretty
well.  Indeed, converting the Fancy Diary to LaTeX is trivial and I may
automate it some day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom S.