Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:21:35 -0400

Jorge <1gato0a@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jorge:

> Regarding Emacs as a mail reader:

> 1) What about HTML email? I don't even know how much HTML mail I
> receive (because it is transparent), but I am afraid it is
> significant.

The setup is dependent on which emailer you choose to use in Emacs. With
the exception of recent versions of Gnus (which can use the builtin shr
render), they all seem to depend on using w3m as a backend. Which
emailer are you using?

For composing html mails (if you must), you can use org-mime.el:

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-mime.html

> 2) What about importing Google Contacts (the Gmail address book) into
> Emacs?  Can it be done easily without data loss?  And once I migrate
> to Emacs' contacts, will I easily see the contacts on my Android
> smartphone?

If you use bbdb, you can sync it with Google Contacts with Asynk:

   https://karra-asynk.appspot.com/

Charles

--
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)