Re: closing man and help buffers

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: closing man and help buffers
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:28:11 -0400

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>>> ibuffer allows marking buffers by several critria, including major mode,
>>> name regexp... It has shortcuts for directly marking help buffers and
>>> "old" buffers. Then, you can delete marked buffers with D.
>>
>> Just tried ibuffer.
>> looks like you can mark buffers with "d", "D" is not required.
>
> `d' marks buffers for deletion, much like `dired'. It is an special
> mark, not to be confused with the ordinary mark which just indicates
> which buffers will be affected by a subsequent operation.
>
> `D' is one such operation that deletes marked buffers.
>
>> Doesn't look quite as good as electric
>> and acts a bit weird.
>>
>> You select with return instead of space.
>> I don't know what that line that says Default is but when I selected it,
>> it appeared to select itself but with no content.
>> It contains a blank line and total at the end and it lets you cursor
>> into them.
>
> [Default...] is a group heading. You can configure ibuffer for dividing
> buffers into groups and operate on them at once.

Ah, I think I see.
Well, I selected it with return then subsequent attempts to use ibuffer
gave me this mostly empty buffer list.

>> It appears to show itself in the buffer list.
>
> No it doesn't.

What's that Buffer Menu thing?

 MR Name                    Size Mode             Filename/Process
 -- ----                    ---- ----             ----------------
[ Default ]
 *% *Summary gnu.em...       323 Summary
 *% *Article gnu.em...      1471 Article
 *% *Group*                  544 Group
    *scratch*                191 Lisp Interaction
 *  *Messages*              3220 Fundamental
    *Async Shell Co...         0 Shell            ~/doc/
    *sent followup ...      3702 Message          ~/News/drafts/drafts/6480
    *sent followup ...      1854 Message          ~/News/drafts/drafts/6483
 *% *Buffer List*            860 Buffer Menu
 *  .newsrc-dribble          715 Fundamental      ~/.newsrc-dribble

    14 buffers             36832                  8 files, no processes

I don't see it in the electric thing.

--
Dan Espen