Re: Disabling a mode based on the size of a buffer?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Disabling a mode based on the size of a buffer?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:10:43 -0400

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When a buffer gets to a certain size, paredit mode specifically begins
>> to struggle, as do some other modes.
>
> I don't see that for paredit.  In a buffer with >10000 lines, any
> paredit command is still executed without measurable delay.  In which
> way does it struggle for you?  What are these other modes?

Mine is [31000 lines][bible.cljs]. The enabled modes in that buffer are

    Clojure Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
    Column-Number Cua Diff-Auto-Refine Eldoc Electric-Indent Electric-Pair
    Erc-Autojoin Erc-Button Erc-Fill Erc-Irccontrols Erc-List Erc-Match
    Erc-Menu Erc-Move-To-Prompt Erc-Netsplit Erc-Networks Erc-Noncommands
    Erc-Pcomplete Erc-Readonly Erc-Ring Erc-Stamp Erc-Track Erc-Track
    File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock Global-Font-Lock Global-Hl-Line Hi-Lock Hs
    Idle-Highlight Ido-Everywhere Ido-Ubiquitous Line-Number
    Nrepl-Interaction Recentf Shell-Dirtrack Show-Paren Textmate
    Transient-Mark Whitespace Winner Yas

I'm assuming several of them could be the culprit, but I would guess
it would be Clojure mode attempting to do syntax highlighting.

Anyway, if you position your cursor just inside the verses vector in
[this file][bible.cljs] and use
`paredit-splice-sexp-killing-backward`, does it work lickety-split?

[bible.cljs]:
https://raw.github.com/timvisher/bible-plan/master/src/cljs/bible_plan/bible.cljs

--

In Christ,