Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?

From: Marko Vojinovic
Subject: Keystroke inconsistencies between GUI and -nw emacs?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:49:11 +0100

Hi folks! :-)

As a regular user of "emacs -nw" (I use it pretty exclusively), today I
accidentally opened the regular GUI version of emacs and decided to give
it a try. But to my surprise, I found out that some keystroke sequences
are different between the GUI version and the console version.

For example, I am used to activate the ordinary string replacing in the
-nw version by typing

  F10 e r r stringtosearch RET stringtoreplace RET

and then go on with the replacing. But in the GUI version, after F10
opens the menu, the other keystrokes ("e r r" in particular) are not
recognized, and I need to use arrow-keys (or other keyboard shortcuts)
to drive the menu to the desired function.

So I have two questions:

(1) Was this done by design? In terms of muscle memory, it can be very
inconvenient to switch between GUI and console versions. At least for
me. :-)

(2) Can the GUI version be reconfigured to have the response to
keystrokes which is *identical* to the console version? If yes, please
point me to some docs about how to do it.

Btw, if it matters:

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.2.1

TIA, :-)