Re: shell-like Emacs CLI, and my Usenet behaviour

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: shell-like Emacs CLI, and my Usenet behaviour
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:40:11 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
>>
>> That's exactly how you type it with eshell.
>>
>> I probably have missed part of the conversation, and apologize if that's
>> the case, but to me, there's no shell like eshell. You can mix external
>> commands ane internal emacs commands, either self-made or the ones part
>> of the distribution.
>
> Is there an eshell keybinding or suggestion for keybinding so that
> people could do M-X (where X is the binding) or C-x X and then invoke
> it like in the above?  (I am too time limited to look.  And you seem
> knowledgeable about eshell and will probably know without looking.)

I do not understand the need for such a key. Eshell creates a shell
buffer. You just switch to it and type your command, without M-X or
whatever. I've mapped following little method to F8, so whenever I want
my shell, I hit F8 and start banging awy.

(defun guivho-switch-to-or-open-eshell-window()
  "switch to current *eshell* window, or start eshell in current window"
  (interactive)
  (if (get-buffer-window "*eshell*" t)
      (select-window (get-buffer-window "*eshell*"))
    (eshell)))

If you want several eshell buffers, you can use M-x rename-uniquely.

I hope this helps,

Guido

--
Look, we trade every day out there with hustlers, deal-makers, shysters,
con-men.  That's the way businesses get started.  That's the way this