Re: CSP for Elisp?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: CSP for Elisp?
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:43:37 -0400

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Is anyone aware of any efforts going on to bring [CSPs][] a la
>> [core.async][] or [go][] to elisp?
>
> We'd like to add concurrency to Elisp, but there is not much progress in
> this area.  There is a `concurrency' branch with some work-in-progress
> patches to provide ways to start a new thread, but it still needs a lot
> of work.
> Help would be very welcome (even more so than usual).

Just to be sure that we're both talking about the same thing, I'm
referring to ['concurrency', not 'parallelism'][pike].

The cool thing about this (in terms of `core.async`) is that the
concurrency models hold up even in single-threaded environments. Hence
`core.async` working just fine under [ClojureScript][].

So I'm specifically talking about efforts in that direction. To be
honest, parallelism in terms of elisp is quite frightening as it has
uncontrolled mutation in the language.

So are we talking about the same thing?

[pike]: http://vimeo.com/49718712
[clojurescript]: