Re: help needed setting up etags on Windows

From: Glen Stark
Subject: Re: help needed setting up etags on Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:53:38 GMT

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:59:09 +0530, C K Kashyap wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Could someone please help me get started with setting up etags for a
> large C++ source base? I'd like to use emacs on cygwin. I assume etags
> is the right tool for source indexing with emacs.
>
> Regards,
> Kashyap

I can't speak specifically to cygwin, but this is what I do under gnu/
linux, and I don't see any reason it would fail under cygwin.  I'm happy
with the results with the exception that I can only do a single source
tree (so far).  I find the results better for C++ than etags.

1.  From the cygwin installer, install gnu-global or gtags (I don't know
the name in cygwin).  Alternatively install from tarball.

2.  In the root of your source tree, run gtags.  This will create three
files containing tagging information.

3.  Install ggtags using emacs package manager.

4.  alt-x ggtags-mode will start ggtags mode.  From there alt-. will jump
to a given tag.  See ggtags docs for further usage.

Hope that helps.