Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:37:57 +0200

Marc Weber <marco-oweber@gmx.de> writes:

>> It *is* Emacs or Vim. 100%. Why on earth would you use Word ...
> To read .doc files which people may have sent you.

Can't you extract the data somehow? That would require some OH
work but it would still be one million times better than using
Word.

> I tried switching to Emacs for two weeks, but in the end it was
> too hard, I was addicted to Vim (and my custom extensions) ...

Yes, this is a very good point. If I switched to Vim, I would
probably think Emacs is so much better. But that would be unfair,
because I spent countless of nights customizing and extending
Emacs to be exactly what I'd like it to be. So it is not Emacs,
but MyEmacs (although the "My" in MySQL isn't a possessive pronoun
but a female name).

On the other hand, this is one of Emacs base pillars - that is is
"the world's most customizable, extendable editor". (On the third
hand, I did it so much I'm not letting Emacs off with all the
credit :))

Really, if I switched to Vim, I would probably spend time making
it behave like MyEmacs, which would be unproductive. The only
scientific way would be to wipe out my whole Emacs experience from
my brain and start anew with Vim. But relax, I'm not going to do
that anytime soon.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573