Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves

From: David Storrs
Subject: Keys spontaneously rebinding themselves
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:24:24 -0700

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem:  keys are spontaneously rebinding
themselves.  I was typing along recently when M-d suddenly decided
that it would do save-buffers-kill-emacs.  I quit and restarted emacs,
it kept doing it.  Today I rebooted and it rebound itself to
"beginning-of-line kill-line"

I evaluated (global-set-key "\M-d" 'kill-word) and it worked...for
about 30 seconds.  Then it went back to being "beginning-of-line
kill-line".  I tried reevaluating it again, figuring that, until I
found a permanent solution, I could just keep doing it every time this
happened.  Didn't work; it ignored my rebinding and stayed what it
was.

This is really starting to weird me out.  I've been using Emacs for
nearly 20 years and I've never seen anything like this.  Has it
happened to anyone else?

Stats are:

OSX 10.6.8
(emacs-version) => "GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mac-apple-darwin) of 2011-06-07
on b1030.apple.com"

Oh and, yes, I know I'm 2 versions behind.  This is the version that
came with OSX; at one point I put some effort into upgrading to v24
but it was so much trouble that I abandoned it -- v22 suffices for
what I do with it.

Any help is much appreciated,

Dave