Re: Change .emacs directory in Ubuntu

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Change .emacs directory in Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 02:35:06 +0200

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 01:37:23PM -0700, kishore.r.318@gmail.com wrote:

> Currently my .emacs file is found in /home So is my .emacs.d folder
> and I suppose some other files like diary, notes etc will be created
> in this folder.
>
> I find this really messy and I want all my emacs related
> files(including the .emacs) and folders in a single folder, say
> /home/EmacsHome
>
> How do I do that in Ubuntu 12.04? In windows I did this by setting an
> environment variable HOME to the path of EmacsHome. But, in Ubuntu,
> the HOME variable will be used for several other programs as well, so
> I dont want to change that.

May I ask why you want this?  On Linux systems, all user specific
application settings go wherever $HOME points to.  So Emacs respects
that.  From the perspective of security, and administering a system,
this makes a lot of sense.  Unless your username is EmacsHome, and you
are running Emacs as that user, I find your choice quite odd.  It might
cause you conflicts with many other utilities.

That said, you could try symbolic links:

  # ln -s /home/EmacsHome/.emacs ~/.emacs
  # ln -s /home/EmacsHome/.emacs.d ~/.emacs.d

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu