Re: tramp X forwarding howto

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp X forwarding howto
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 11:32:19 +0200

Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Hallo Michael,

Hi Paul,

> it is:
> 2.2.6-24.3

Well. That's pretty recent.

> I visit remote directory of my linux box. I want to run some X
> application for some remote file, but I get some error message:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?
> how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?

Likely, the recipe explained in section 6.5.1 of
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Remote-processes> should work for you.

Adding an additional argumemt to the ssh call, like -X or -Y, is more
tricky. If the recipe above does not work, you could add a respective
entry to your ~/.ssh/config:

Host RHEL6-64
     ForwardX11Trusted         yes

Best regards, Michael.