Cannot go down in dired when the file name is tool long

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Cannot go down in dired when the file name is tool long
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:07:49 +0200

Hello,

I have a strange problem with dired: if the window used is not wide
enough, some file names may be longer than the width so they continue on
the next line. Unfortunately in that case I cannot use the keyboard to
go to the next file. More precisely, if I have the cursor on the file
name before the line break, then hitting 'n' puts the cursor at the
beginning of the file name on the same line. If I move the cursor to the
right enough so that it goes to the part of the file name that is on the
next line, then hitting 'n' correctly takes me to the next file.

If I turn on `visual-line-mode` (which is ugly for dired) or
truncate-lines (which is better), then things work as expected.

Is there a way to have the usual wrapping and still be able to navigate
the file? Could this be an interaction with another mode?

Thanks,

Alan