Re: debugging load failure [vanished?]

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: Re: debugging load failure [vanished?]
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:13:52 -0700

The loading seems to be successful now, even though I haven't changed
anything--except that I did edit ess-site.el, adding and then removing
(edebug).

Could there have been some compiled version that got cleared out by
that process?

Some more details on the failure I was experiencing below.

Eli wrote:

> So why do you think ess-site is not loaded.  All the signs you
> mentioned say otherwise.
>
> You can put
>
>   (message "ess-site start")
>
> at the beginning of your ess-site.el, and see if that message gets
> displayed and logged in the *Messages* buffer.

I say the load was ineffective because
1) M-x ess <complete> doesn't get anything
2) M-x r  is an unknown command
3) There is no *ESS* buffer

More recently it has been clear that ess-site.el was loading, because
when I put (edebug) in it a debugger came up.

Ross