Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 00:33:07 +0200

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 01:32:38PM -0300, Jorge wrote:

> I could pull email with IMAP, but I am afraid that the Gmail label concept
> (one message can be in several labels) would not map well into emacs.

Gmail labels map to IMAP folders.  So if a message has multiple labels,
they appear in multiple folders for you.  IMAP essentially sees
duplicates in different folders.  Unless you edit both messages, the
state changes (read, flagged, etc) map transparently back to Gmail.  I
personally choose to one label as important to me, and follow the
corresponding folder.  In case you do edit these copies, they just
appear twice on Gmail.  I don't recall what Gmail does then, in the
worst case you see the same message multiple times in the conversation
view.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu