beginner questions

From: JohnF
Subject: beginner questions
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:55:31 +0000 (UTC)

Can't use my favorite editor any more (long story, don't ask:),
and decided to go with emacs. Of course, there are zillions of
tutorials, etc, but most are almost-infinitely wordy, whereas
I'm comfortable with editors and basically want a cheat sheet.
But even they're usually too long, with lots of arcane commands
that I'm sure I'll eventually want to know, but not while I'm
still trying to remember how to cut-and-paste.
  So I started making my own  forkosh.com/emacs.txt  but am
having difficulty zeroing in on some info.
  Most importantly, how to "turn off everything". For example,
no html help, e.g., I don't want to see <u>stuff</u> or
<h2>stuff</h2> underlined. And really annoying, I don't want
the cursor to momentarily jump back to ( after I type (stuff).
Ditto <stuff>, etc. Very distracting (to me). Basically,
I just want a dumb editor in the sense that it shouldn't think
it knows >>anything<< about the language/syntax I'm writing in,
regardless of filename extension. It should just see a stream
of uninterpreted characters, unless it sees C- or M- (or
something with special emacs significance).
  And various and sundry minor questions, e.g., what exactly
is the undo scope of C-/ and how do you just undo "last keystroke",
and no more than that (if last keystroke was a C-y then, okay,
undo the entire yank)?
  Finally, have I missed some tutorial/cheat-sheet-type info designed
for my kind of needs -- already familiar with various languages
and editors, and just wants to get down to work using emacs?
Just wants the 100 or so most used commands "telegraphed", without
more extra words than necessary? Thanks,
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )