Function needed to save a certain buffer every x seconds automatically

From: AW
Subject: Function needed to save a certain buffer every x seconds automatically
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:38:17 +0200

Hello!

To get a fast refreshing PDF of my LaTeX file, I use latexmk, which renders a
PDF every time the LaTeX file changed on the hard disk.

I'd like to have a mechanism to save the LaTeX file every x seconds.

I found this solution:

(require 'auto-save-buffers)
(run-with-idle-timer 1 t 'auto-save-buffers)

If I put that into my .emacs, Emacs saves every buffer immediately after a
change of the buffer.

But it is cumbersome to switch that off in the .emacs file, if not needed, and
on, if needed. Could someone write a function to switch this  line

(run-with-idle-timer 1 t 'auto-save-buffers)

on and off?

Thank you!

Regards,

Alexander