Re: automatic selection during search

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: automatic selection during search
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:17:22 -0400

In article <mailman.2924.1380210221.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, (add-hook 'isearch-mode-hook 'deactivate-mark) seems to do the
> > > trick.
> >
> > That will break the common sequence C-@ C-s which *should* mark the
> > region from where you started to where the search completes.
>
> Yes.
>
> It's fine for a given user to add such behavior via a hook, if s?he wants.
>
> But the behavior of extending the active region during Isearch should not be
> considered a bug.  A priori, Isearch should make no decisions about changing
> the region activation.  Leave it up to the user.

But shouldn't the default behavior be consistent with cursor motion
commands? Either they all should extend the region or none should.

I'm not able to reproduce the OP's claim that cursor motion deactivates
the region after saving to the clipboard, but that may be because I
don't use CUA-mode. I just use normal region commands, and copy-region
(M-w) deactivates the region itself.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA