Re: beginner questions

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:52:06 -0400

On 9/25/2013 3:55 AM, JohnF wrote:

   Most importantly, how to "turn off everything". For example,
no html help, e.g., I don't want to see <u>stuff</u> or
<h2>stuff</h2> underlined. And really annoying, I don't want
the cursor to momentarily jump back to ( after I type (stuff).
Ditto <stuff>, etc. Very distracting (to me). Basically,
I just want a dumb editor

For a beginner, I suggest you give 'everything' a try before you turn emacs into a dumb editor.

Emacs was written by real users, and does the right thing so often that you'll wonder how you ever used any other editor.

If you're writing code (and html is code) parenthesis matching, region commenting, coloring, indenting, inserting tags, headers, lists, check boxes and such will save a lot of typing and debug.

Once you get into emacs, you can change the colors to your liking, as well as assign keys for frequently used operations.