Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:00:42 +0300

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com>
>
> On Thursday, 26 September 2013 03:14:10 UTC+8, Eli Zaretskii  wrote:
> >
> > How do the menus help, if the help-echo tooltips are still in English?
>
> Having the menus translated helps because it is a first step that breaks the
> barrier for others to continue with help-echo, doc strings etc.  As long as
> there is an insistence that the solution be all or nothing, potential
> volunteers will see the task as too daunting to take on.

I never said "all or nothing".  I said start with doc strings and
echo-area messages.  That's far from being "all".

And I don't see how translating the menus would break the barrier for
help-echo, as these two are displayed by 2 very different
infrastructures in Emacs: the former can be caught on the toolkit
level and translated there using the existing facilities in the
toolkits, while the latter is displayed by Emacs itself (except when
using GTK), and must be handled in Emacs with infrastructure that
currently simply doesn't exist.

OTOH, if localization of the echo-area display is solved, then
help-echo is almost trivial.  _That_ would indeed break the barrier.