Re: emacs-nox (console version) - how to get menus to work

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-nox (console version) - how to get menus to work
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:10:21 +0300

> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:41:15 +0100
> From: James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Pete - I seem to get what I'd expect. Go into terminal and type emacs.
> Emacs loads.
> The menus are across the top; File, Edit, Options, Buffers, Tools,
> Lisp-Interaction, Help. A double mouse click on one of them will
> highlight but nothing seems to pull down the menu. F10 and M-` will
> pull down the terminal window but not the emacs one. Other console
> editors I have tried in the past (think it was ne - nice editor), one
> has typed double ESC (or another command) and the menu comes down. So
> it must be a simple keystroke I'd have thought.

Emacs does not yet support pull-down menus on a text terminal.  This
will be added soonish on the development trunk.

F10 should allow you to use an emulation of the menu in the echo
area.  I don't understand what you mean by "F10 and M-` will
pull down the terminal window but not the emacs one" -- what does
"pull down terminal window" means here?  In Emacs, F10 and M-` invoke
the command tmm-menubar.