Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:25:00 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 13:38:04 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> We can disagree without having to pull rank.
> >
> > There's nothing wrong in citing a long experience.
>
> Yes, that's called pulling rank

You can call it what you want, the essence will not change: this was a
valid data point, see below.

> and especially if it doesn't relate to the issue. "20 years" doesn't
> relate to Rmail or Gnus, and nothing can be deducted from it, apart
> from, perhaps "Rmail is at least 20 years old".

You are missing the point.  I said I was using Rmail for the past 20
years, and yet didn't bump into the "single huge file" problem that
you claimed was the problem with Rmail.  If 20 years of continuous
usage do not produce large files, the problem of large Rmail files you
cited can only be explained by sub-optimal use patterns.

> Your Rmail folders may be what you desire but I always
> wanted *one file per message*, and fully automated.

That's fine.  But "one message per file" is not the only reasonable
way of maintaining mail archives.  The alternatives are not limited to
"one huge file", they include "a number of messages in each file".

> This is what I meant by the T-Rex metaphor.

That metaphor simply doesn't fly, because Rmail does support multiple
Rmail files in the same Emacs session.

> What you did was turning the T-Rex into packs of
> velociraptors, but I want a swarm of paleo-bees, each
> and every one separated from the other.

I did nothing of the kind.