Re: beginner questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 20:57:58 +0300

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> Finally switched to vi.

??? Why not "M-x hexl-mode RET" or "M-x hexlify-buffer RET"?  This is
Emacs, right?

> It showed me:
> [[http://cs.brown.edu/people/pw/papers/monist.ps<200e>][Philosophical diffs
> between OOp and FP]]
>
> 200e??? What the hell...
> Asked emacs to describe-char (the nothing at that point!) and that is
> something called 'left-to-right-mark'
>
> So humble request: Please show what is there!

That character is displayed as a thin space in my Emacs 23.4.  Not
sure why you didn't see it.

In Emacs 24, you can control the display using the glyphless-char
stuff.  But otherwise, I don't see what exactly is wrong with Emacs in
that case.