Re: beginner questions

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: 1 Oct 2013 20:02:46 GMT

EN:SiS(9)
Rustom Mody wrote:
> Finally switched to vi. It showed me:
> [[http://cs.brown.edu/people/pw/papers/monist.ps<200e>][Philosophical diffs
> between OOp and FP]]
>
> 200e??? What the hell...
> Asked emacs to describe-char (the nothing at that point!) and that is
> something called 'left-to-right-mark'
>
> So humble request: Please show what is there!

Well, if you google left-to-right-mark, you'll see that it is an
"invisible formatting character", which means that it shouldn't be
displayed. So arguably vi was doing the wrong thing when it showed you
the hex code. Now, obviously something like this is confusing when one
doesn't know what's going on, but I don't think Emacs is doing the wrong
thing here.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm