Re: beginner questions

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 07:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:26:06 AM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Finally switched to vi. It showed me:
>
> > [[http://cs.brown.edu/people/pw/papers/monist.ps<200e>][Philosophical diffs
> > between OOp and FP]]
>

> > 200e??? What the hell...
>

> Indeed, as the display engine becomes more powerful over time, the
> general rule gets broken more and more often.  Unicode is a source of
> lots of problems along this way (e.g. with all the barely visible
> characters such as the one above, as well as all the "different
> character, but displays identically").  There are some libraries that
> try to help with this, e.g. uni-confusable (in GNU ELPA), but it's
> a hard problem because there is no single "right thing to do".

Thanks Stefan. I appreciate that choosing the right action is probably very
hard.

I was just pointing out that your statement: What you see is all there is to see
seems to be eminently suitable for an editor (as against say a browser, a
word-processor etc) and it would be a shame if emacs started breaking that rule
more than necessary.