Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 01:35:26 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> Probably emacs is the only text editor on the
>> internet with its own podcast (emacs rocks).
>
> Even though I prefer to use emacs over vim I must
> admit that vim probably has more podcasts about it
> than emacs does.  :-(
>
> But remember it isn't a popularity contest.  Trying to
> be popular often causes problems.  Let's avoid that
> trap.

People today are brain damaged. They are content with
hammering on their "smart"phones (with their thumbs,
*on* the display) to get their quick fix from YouTube
(two cats fighting, or a guy dropping his donut in the
coffee, perhaps) - they can't use any serious software,
let alone Emacs.

You may think that I am mean and ironic about it, but
I'm not, I'm dead serious, and I think it is a very sad
state, not just for them but for me. I remember when
everyone who used a computer was creative about
it. Today, almost the only people that are not *moronic*
about it are hacker fanatics, hunted across the galaxy
like some unbelievers.

So I don't think it matters one bit what we do, Emacs
(or any serious software) will never capture the
imagination of the masses, and it will never be popular
- actually, I have a hard time seeing that even among
computer people (or among people who pretends to be).

The only group that I see a small hope for are
professional writers, translators, and such. I don't
know how they typically do their stuff, but I think they
would *love* Emacs!

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573