Re: Linefeeds (\n) to stdout

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Linefeeds (\n) to stdout
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:17:50 +0200

>> I would call that at least strange behaviour, if not a bug.
>
> M-x report-emacs-bug

I can file a bug-report later, but currently I would rather need to know
what is the matter with emacsclient? And find some kind of work-around
pretty soon ...

I output the html produced by Emacs with `princ', and with standalone
Emacs, this is received by the calling program as expected - \n are
actual line-breaks, \" are printed as  " (unquoted) etc.

But with emacsclient, \n are printed verbatim, just like the \" etc.
Furthermore, the whole html string send by Emacs is printed enclosed in
double-quotes. And there are some random underscores in the text parts
of the html page, but I'm not sure if this only happens with
emacsclient.

To me it seems 'the right thing' to do

,---------------------------------------------
| (princ (function-that-returns-a-string ...))
`---------------------------------------------

and since emacsclient isn't really a brandnew feature, I wonder if
nobody witnessed the same problem before? The guys who wrote
'org-protocol.el' obviously dealt with this problem, but on the Emacs
side, when processing input from another application.

I hacked together some code on the calling PicoLisp-program side that
post-processes the html-string received from Emacs (via emacsclient) -
but is this really the only way to deal with this problem?

--
cheers,
Thorsten