Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:06:54 +0100

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>> The other point to remember is that there are more programmers now than
>> 20 years ago. I would be shocked if Emacs popularity as a percentage had
>> not dropped.
>
> Not only more programmers, but also more IDE, source code editors (in
> the widest sense) - i.e. alternatives to emacs.
>
> I love emacs and  will stick with it (even if I am the last one using
> it), but I see the difficulty to sell it to new programmers. By the way:
> I see the same problem with vi.

Sure. It has a start up hump. I basically bullied some of my students
into using it; it takes a few months before they start to appreciate it.

But, as I say, there are more programmers than ever; I suspect that
actual number of Emacs users is increasing. Especially since org-mode
got invented which is bringing in lots of people.

Phil