Re: contractor resources for emacs extension development

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: contractor resources for emacs extension development
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:26:42 +0200

Eric Brown <eric.c.brown@mac.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Here is a screencast on youtube that illustrates how to use the
>>libraries with emacs-lisp buffers, but they can be used with many
>>major-modes (outorg works e.g. with message-mode too, therefore I'm
>>writing this email in full Org-mode right now).
>>

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> I was excited to see your post on the gnus list, too.
>
> Could you:
>   - please re/post the URL for the screencast?

>   - I would like to try out navi. I got your outshine via MELPA -- can
>   you make that code available there, too?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Hi Eric,

all three libraries should be available via MELPA now, navi-mode and outorg too:

[[https://github.com/milkypostman/melpa/blob/master/recipes/navi-mode][navi-mode]]

[[https://github.com/milkypostman/melpa/blob/d57762fe51a524731e228c80b4b2d25e827e5858/recipes/outorg][outorg]]

let me know if you have difficulties getting them there. If you use Git,
you could of course clone (or fork) the github repos I linked to in my
other mail, e.g.:

,-----------------------------------------
| $ git clone git@github.com:tj64/navi.git
`-----------------------------------------

ÞS

Sorry, I announced the link but forgot to post it. There are other
related screencasts in the emacsstuff video channel demonstrating the
use of the libraries with PicoLisp (and Org-mode itself). This one shows
their use with Emacs Lisp source files:

,-------------------------------------------
`-------------------------------------------

> ---
>
> (Just for fun)
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (message "%s" "emacs rocks")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : emacs rocks

I needed just a little trick to make outorg work with message mode, and
now I can write arbitrarily complex emails in full Org-mode for the
price of doing M-# M-# (M-x outorg-edit-as-org) once to fire up the
*outorg-edit-buffer*, and then M-# (M-x outorg-copy-edits-and-exit) to
convert the modified content back to its original format. Its really
handy to be able to write _and_ evaluate code examples directly in the
buffer you are writing your email in ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten