Re: keyboard macro

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: keyboard macro
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 01:25:54 +0700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Christof Spitz <cs@lotsawa.de> wrote:
>
>> I have to write special characters for transliteration of a non-european
>> language (devanagari) in Emacs. These include characters like ā,ī,ū,ś,ṣ etc.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how far people are willing to go just to
> avoid using an appropriate OS-level keyboard layout. In your case,
> probably, the command “setxkbmap -layout "us,in" -variant ",deva"
> -options "grp:caps_toggle,grp_led:caps"” will help a lot.

On second reading, you want a transliteration, not real devanagari. In
that case, you can create your own transliterated layout by cloning
the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in file and substituting your preferred
code points. (You will also need to add lines to the rules/evdev
file.)

Alternatively, hack the Latin-based layout of your choice to include
the diacritics you need, either as dead keys or as combining
characters.