Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface

From: Menelaos Maglis
Subject: Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:07:04 +0200

> Menelaos Maglis <mmaglis@metacom.gr> writes:
>
>>> It would be better if Gmail worked with the Firefox
>>> extension `It's all text', which it used to; but
>>> since Gmail moved to the "new compose experience" it
>>> doesn't work anymore.
>>
>> This is what usually happens with proprietary closed
>> software.  Some design decisions are made that brake
>> nicely working interfaces (e.g. "It's all Text") and
>> the users have no control.
>
> What does it matter what Gmail does? Gmail is for people
> who like Gmail. If you don't like Gmail, but Emacs, you
> can use the Emacs message mode to compose, the ~/.mailrc
> file to keep an address book, and Gnus or Rmail to
> read/organize.

Well this discussion was about someone who _likes_ GMail but
prefers to edit the mail body in Emacs. Something that was
possible with the firefox extension that got broken by a
GMail change. Hence his fustration.

> If this is something you would like to do, but are
> hesitant as to *how*, this list is here to help.

I use GMail when my Gnus is not around.
When I get the time I will switch away from GMail to a
self-hosted email solution altogether.

> There is no point being frustrated what other people do
> or do not.

I was by no means furstrated. Simply pointing out the perils
of using proprietary closed software.