Re: Emacs mailreader that doesn't move the spool

From: Damien Wyart
Subject: Re: Emacs mailreader that doesn't move the spool
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:51:04 +0200

* Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I've gone over the documentation for RMAIL, VM, and Gnus, and they all
> seem to require moving your mailbox to the home directory, apparently
> because none of them can lock the mailbox for exclusive access. Emacs
> seems powerful enough that a kludge could probably be written that
> puts your mailbox back the way it was every time you close your
> mailreader, but that seems sort of ugly and unnecessary.

Even if what you want is not strictly possible (as far as I know), I see
two ways of having a setup where mail would be readable by several MUAs:

- having procmail or maildrop (I prefer the latter) put the mail in
  a target your like (more convenient in $HOME but not mandatory),
  either in mbox or maildir, and than point Gnus and Emacs to it (mutt
  will read a Gnus nnml fine, but doing modifications might not work
  well).

- having a local IMAP server (cleaner solution I think) and use the IMAP
  layers of mutt and Gnus to access it. As IMAP is fully supported in
  the MUAs you quote, this is the safest and most flexible solution.

Using an mbox spool for a shared access in not really optimal, IMAP was
designed for shared access from the start.

Best regards,
--
DW