Re: making software with Emacs and Elisp

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: making software with Emacs and Elisp
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:24:29 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> If you want to run processes in the outer system you
> can call start-process amongst a few other functions.

No, I meant "Emacs processes" but you answered that with
`run-with-idle-timer', I guess.

> But you can have code scheduled to run in emacs.  It
> is not a preemptive system, but a collaborative one,
> where each task must release the CPU quickly enough
> for the rest of the system to stay responsive.  But a
> lot of tasks are scheduled this way in emacs
> (eg. background font-locking, semantic incremental
> parses, etc). See: run-with-idle-timer

OK, so there is one *main* Emacs process running, that
might turn *idle*, I guess if you don't do anything, and
when that happens, some Emacs arbitrator looks in a pool
of background tasks that would be beneficial if they
were run, and then runs them, and then when you start to
do something again, the main Emacs process does *not*
preempt those background tasks, instead they are run to
completion, and it is assumed you (the user) won't
notice, as they should be so fast anyway?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573