Saving the frame layout between frames

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Saving the frame layout between frames
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:10:01 +0000

Hi,

Following on from my previous adventures with chromebook.el I'm now
trying to save the frame layout so when I create a new frame I can
restore the layout of the buffers and windows as they where.

I've been using:

(setq crmbk-previous-frame-config (current-window-configuration))

However when the new frame is created and I run:

(when crmbk-previous-frame-config
  (set-window-configuration crmbk-previous-frame-config))

It's not working. If I run these commands from within a frame after
messing around with the configuration it works as expected so I assume
the breakage is caused by the fact the new frame context is incompatible
(indeed winner-mode doesn't seem to save window configuration between
frame instances).

So is there any way around this?

--
Alex Bennée