Re: utf8

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: utf8
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 15:18:29 +0100

Am 01.11.2013 um 10:26 schrieb Denise Chemla:

> each time I want to save my file using ctrl-s,

That cannot work! C-s is bound to incremental-search- or isearch-forward.

> emacs tells me something like "please confirm your encoding is well
> utf-8-unix" and only after I write all the letters U T F - 8 - U N I X, it
> saves my work. I am completely tired to type all those letters at each time I
> save.

You should check the environment variables LANG and LC_ALL. They make GNU Emacs
choose an encoding that corresponds to their values. It might work to override
this setting by using in your init file

        (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

BTW, you don't need to repeat the letters "U T F - 8 - U N I X", the second and
the other times you can use the arrow keys (up or down) to get your preferred
value back. TAB also allows to expand the word started.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A census taker is a man who goes from house to house increasing the population.