Re: customize themed face

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: customize themed face
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 03:42:20 +0100

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to customize the face `bm-face` (from the
> bm.el package from <https://github.com/joodland/bm>),
> but somehow I can't get rid of the fore- and
> background colors. I'm using the anti-zenburn-theme,
> which somehow seems to have something to do with the
> problem.
>
> If I run `emacs -Q` and then load the file bm.el, I
> can use Customize to unset the colors and add an
> underline. If I load anti-zenburn-theme.el, the colors
> are set to those specified in the theme and they stay
> that way, even if I uncheck them in the Customize
> buffer.
>
> Only doing
>
> (set-face-attribute 'bm-face nil :underline t
> :foreground nil :background nil)
>
> works, i.e., explicitly setting fore- and background to
> nil.

I don't get it - why are you setting *both* fore- and
background to nil? Won't that mean that text in that
"face" can't be read?

This is how I set all my faces. I don't like custom (in
particular the fullbuffer UI) but that doesn't mean I
can't use it in a way I like it, in my .emacs:

(custom-set-faces
 ;;; DIRED
 '(dired-directory ((t (:foreground "blue"    :bold t))))
 '(dired-header    ((t (:foreground "green"   :bold t))))
 '(dired-ignored   ((t (:foreground "magenta" :bold nil))))
 ; etc.
)

If it is changed and evaluated, change is instantaneous.

I don't know if this related to your question, though.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573