Need help debuging my `.emacs` file

From: eccstartup
Subject: Need help debuging my `.emacs` file
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:58:35 -0800 (PST)

This is my ".emacs" file

https://gist.github.com/eccstartup/7424617

My emacs version 24.3. I have installed "haskell-mode" and "erlang" from
http://marmalade-repo.org/  . All I have done is do according to the website.

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
    '("marmalade" .
      "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";))
(package-initialize)

1.  However, when I start it, I get

An error has occurred while loading `/Users/eccstartup/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, package

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

2.  Well, I typed "emacs --debug-init" in the terminal, I get

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "package")
  require(package)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/Users/eccstartup/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 19
  load-with-code-conversion("/Users/eccstartup/.emacs"
"/Users/eccstartup/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "^H\205\276^@   \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\202A^@
\311=\2033^@\312\307\313\314#\203#^@\315\202A^@\312\307\313\316#\203/^@\317\202A^@\315\202A^@