Re: Need help debuging my `.emacs` file

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: Need help debuging my `.emacs` file
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 00:47:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Glyn Millington wrote:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
> > eccstartup <zhiwudazhanjiangshi@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > This line:
> >
> >> (require 'package)
> >
> > is the problem. I also get:
>
> No it isn't :-) With emacs 24, that should work.
>

> >> File error: Cannot open load file, package
> >
> > Because I don't have it, and neither do you.
>
> You don't have it, but perhaps *his* Emacs just can't  find it! What OS are
> you using, OP?
>
> >> Should I download a package.el from http://marmalade-repo.org/ ?
> >
> > Yes
>
> No - not until you are sure it isn't already there somewhere on the
> system.  Any 'package.el' on marmalade is not necessarily the package.el
> which  comes bundled with emacs 24.
>
> atb
>

> Glyn

For emacs 23.x and earlier users there is a different procedure for
getting package.el to install involving evaluation of code on your local
system you either have to download from the elpa home page and put in your
scratch buffer then run.  For emacs 24.x users no such steps are
necessary, just type:
m-x package list-packages <enter> in scratch buffer and watch what
happens.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Avoid the Gates Of Hell, use Linux!