Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:30:35 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:
> > I definitely recommend that you try using emacs in text mode.
>
> (I think you meant console not "text mode", Bob.
> I.e., not `M-x text-mode'.  HTH.)

I definitely meant not-in-pixel-mode! :-) X Windows over a high
latency WAN can be terrible.  And even on a relatively lower latency
connection WAN it isn't great even when it is good.  Better to avoid
the issue entirely.  Simply log in with an ssh connection in a text
terminal and then run emacs in that same text terminal window.

And although I find it somewhat slow I think everyone who is working
on remote systems should check out emacs tramp as well.  It is
definitely a good tool for remote edits.

Bob