Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:13:57 -0500

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> mgrojo@gmail.com wrote:
>> El martes, 21 de septiembre de 2010 03:40:53 UTC+2, des...@verizon.net
>> escribió:
>> > "Russ P." writes:
>
> Wow.  That was from two years ago.
>
>> > Emacs seems a little over-active in dired-mode.
>> I have worked around it by setting mouse-highlight to nil. So it
>> guess that it is a problem with the mouse highlighting and ssh -X.
>
> It may be true that the display code is very inefficient there.  But
> I don't think it is that reasonable to expect an X program to be
> snappy fast over a high latency WAN connection.  There are many
> issues with throwing a display remotely.  Many programs have been
> written to try to optimize it.  But it remains a hard problem.
>
> Instead I definitely recommend that you try using emacs in text mode.
> That is the original operation mode.  It is really quite a fine
> terminal screen editor.  The performance of throwing whold characters
> over the Internet will be much better than throwing pixels over the
> Internet.

I've used Emacs remotely quite a bit.
Turning off tool tips helps a lot:

(tooltip-mode nil)

but Emacs could do better.

This came up a while back and my opinion hasn't changed.
Emacs should have an option that turns off all hover detection.
Tracking enter and leave is too slow for remote use and isn't
necessary for dired, mode lines, buffer lists.

--
Dan Espen