Re: Gnus state, feed commands

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus state, feed commands
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:43:22 +0700

>> That number above comes from the function
>> gnus-group-unread, so you could probably map all
>> subscribed groups through it and collect the unread
>> count. I've never messed with the mode line, so I'm
>> not sure about using a function to produce a value
>> for it...
>
> Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was possible
> to do like this:
>
> (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group "gnu.emacs.help")

Weird, I wonder what the difference is supposed to be. On my
installation, anyway, with three unread messages in "gmane.emacs.help",
gnus-group-unread returns 3, and gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group
returns 0. Strange.

Also, if you use topics, the easiest way to get the full number of
unread messages would probably be to run gnus-topic-unread on the
top-level topic.